It’s Week 26 and you are DONE!
You have prepared and submitted your applications to every college on your list. You may or may not have gotten into one or two. Most of you are left with nothing to do but wait to hear from the colleges – and that is likely months away.
But a few of you have made enrollment deposits. Regardless of your particular situation, this is an awkward time in the college admissions process. So now what?
WEEK 26 TO-DOS
- Wrap up doing anything you need to do in response to the colleges you’ve heard from. Get tips from Week 25’s post.
- Finish submitting your applications if there are any lingering. (If the deadline is in February, then you can take time off for the winter holiday, but then get those applications in by January 15 at the latest.)
- Finish your financial aid forms if there are any lingering.
- Respond to any invitations for interviews and interview. See Week 18’s post for tips.
THIS WEEK AND EVERY WEEK
- Check your email, voicemail, texts, and snail mail for any communications that relate to applying to college. Read them and take whatever action is necessary. See Week 19’s post for tips on how to handle being contacted by colleges.
- Update your parents about what you’re doing. This regular communication will work wonders in your relationship with your parents during this stress-filled year.
TIPS AND TRICKS
Celebrate. We doubt you need a huge amount of help figuring out how to celebrate, but you may not be sure exactly what you are celebrating, especially if you haven’t gotten into any of the colleges where you’ve applied. So let us tell you!
- You are celebrating that you have crossed a major milestone on this seemingly endless journey to college.
- You are celebrating all the accomplishments that you highlighted in your applications — every grade, every activity, every idea presented in your application represents an accomplishment. There are lots of them!
- You are celebrating all the life skills you’ve learned in the last 26 weeks, including how to manage a major project, how to roll with the punches presented by a global pandemic, and how to present yourself in your best light.
This is all huge. HUGE. Celebrate it!
Anna Ivey is one of the founders of Inline. An experienced admissions consultant and a frequently cited media expert on the topic of college admissions, she is also co-author of the college admissions bible How to Prepare a Standout College Application. Learn more about Anna's background here.